Pierre Parsus

French, born 1921 Biography

As a young adolescent, Pierre Parsus already felt the desire to draw, and in 1934 he was very changed by a one-hour lesson with the professor and painter Jean-Pierre Perroud. This was a revelation for him. With his first paintings in oil, he discovered the Impressionist schoolrooms at the Louvre Museum in Paris. He studied first painting and then decoration at the School of Applied Arts where he continued his studies for three years (1935-1938) and received instruction from Charles Malfray, Robert Wlerick, Jacques Zwobada, René Carrière and son Eugène Carrière and painters Jacques Lecaron, George Louis Claude sculptors.

In 1943, as the war was full force, Pierre Parsus was requisitioned for the (STO) service compulsory labour to the Locomotiv-Fabrik in Vienna in Austria where he underwent rigorous abuse in this war. Of 600,000 young French deported, 60,000 lose their lives. He survived with three of his classmates and rejoined his family in Paris 4 June 1945.

In 1946 he left Paris for Nîmes. After several return trips to and from Paris, he embarked 30 December 1952 for Algiers and returned to Nîmes in France 10 June 1955.

During his stay in Algiers, his first exclusive exhibition took place in Paris in 1948, followed by a second in 1952. During his stay in Algiers, he participated in two exhibitions and received the Abd-el-TIF award.  He exhibited in Paris a third time in 1957 and received the Fénéon award.   In 1962, Jean Giono did the foreward for an exhibition on the theme of Virgil Géorgiques.

From 1972 to 1974, he illustrated a novel entitled “Regain” for Jean Giono, and a work of Georges Brassens.  He created some monumental works in the French cities of Nimes and Montpellier.

In November 2000, during the opening of the Estienne Henri Room for orientalist paintings at the Museum of Narbonne, Pierre Parsus donated three orientalist works to the museum from his period working in Algeria: Femmes Kabyles de retour du marché, Paysage de Kabylie, and Biskra.